WORSHIP DRUMMING VS. "BAND" DRUMMING

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

MANY PEOPLE FAIL TO REALIZE THAT WORSHIP DRUMMING IS SO MUCH MORE THAN JUST DRUMMING.  ALTHOUGH DRUMMING IN A BAND IS GREAT AND IS SOMETHING I MYSELF HAVE DONE ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS, WORSHIP DRUMMING IS A SACRED PRIVILEGE. IN AN ATTEMPT TO BRING PERSPECTIVE, I WILL JUXTAPOSE THE TWO TO SHED SOME LIGHT ON THE DIFFERENCES.

WORSHIP DRUMMING             VS.         "BAND" DRUMMING


THE MOTIVE IS LOVE                                             THE MOTIVE IS A CREATIVE                                                                                                         OUTLET / MUSICAL EXCELLENCE

IT'S NOT ABOUT ME                                                IT'S ABOUT ME, AND MY BAND

SKILL IS NOT THE PREREQUISITE OF                  SKILL IS THE LITMUS TEST FOR
SUCCESS                                                                 SUCCESS


YOU PLAY FOR AN AUDIENCE OF 1                      PLAYING FOR AN AUDIENCE OF 1 
(OR 3, I KNOW IT'S COMPLICATED)                       IS USUALLY A GOOD INDICATION 
                                                                                   THAT YOU SHOULD QUIT


YOU DON'T GET PAID BUT YOU ARE                     YOU SOMETIMES GET PAID, BUT
DEFINITELY REWARDED                                         THE SATISFACTION IS MOMENTARY


IT'S BIGGER THAN YOU                                           IT RARELY GETS PAST THE LOCAL   
                                                                                    DIVE


THE PURPOSE IS TO                                               THE PURPOSE IS TO CREATE
GLORIFY OUR CREATOR                                        GREAT MUSIC


10 comments:

Anonymous,  February 5, 2010 at 3:53 PM  

Hey mate. Just wanted to say how true this is! Ive been told this many a time by other people in the worship band and/or God through prayer, yet I always seem to think it's all about me when I'm actually drumming! I think about the comments I get after a worship session, or the fact that a younger drummer isn't as good as me.
This blog has infact changed my perspective, and I pray that each time I play that God will be at the centre of my talent and not my ego.
Thanks again,
you are one awesome drummer for God!

God Bless,

Joe Ogier, Channel Islands, Guernsey, UK

ryanshaffer,  February 19, 2010 at 8:48 AM  

Wow man. Good thoughts. I keep checking out your youtube page and I'm really impressed.. Keep it up!

Fish February 21, 2010 at 6:31 AM  

I just wanted to comment on your blog and let you know that God is doing a great ministry through you. I play drums in a worship band and the contrasts are amazing! Sometimes I feel like the only time I ever have any skill drumming is when I just allow God to use me in a worship service. Thanks for this blog, that I know I will be following regularly, and thanks for posting the videos on youtube, they're like tabs for drummers. God Bless You!

Mark Morris May 1, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

hey man,

i saw your drum videos on you tube and wanted to commend you on the talent you have been blessed with. i can tell from your videos you are an awesome drummer and the fact that you do it for God is even more amazing. the videos help drummers to learn and 'more than anything' is a hard song. i play guitar for the church i attend and we had told our youth drummer to learn that song and suggested that he look up your video. he did and loved it. i agree with the guy above me, its kinda like tabs for drummers.

but anyway i just wanted to let you know that you have helped somebody and its cool to know that your a christian and student pastor at that. i'm sure God will bless you and your family for what you do.

take care and keep up the awesome work,
Mark

Joel April 25, 2011 at 6:58 AM  

I agree with everything you said there but if you are drumming in a 'worship band' like Switchfoot it's a different case. Well thats what I think :).

Mark Sommers,  May 25, 2011 at 7:53 PM  

this truth that you speak recently became a reality in my life. What I mean is God recently revealed this exact thing to mean and in my response Worship has been unexplainably Awesome!! Thanks for this post and your many videos on youtube they have really helped me.

Glinton Hanover December 11, 2011 at 12:41 AM  

indeed this blog change ma prospectives about drumming in church .... thanx bro ... pray God bless u !...

Anonymous,  March 26, 2012 at 6:54 AM  

Very well put. God bless You.

Unknown September 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM  

Hi Craig,

Just wanted to say that you have an amazing gift of drumming. I watched your video on YouTube 'No Reason To Hide' Wow! Amazing I have heard that drum part before but you play it to another level! You are very tight on each drum beat. Definitely Worship drumming! Keep doing what you are doing because you are blessing people! God bless

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP